- Books about Directors: Five Came Back and Fred Zinnemann and the Cinema of Resistance – Offscreen?
- Under Blue Cup?
- The Great Brain Debate: Nature Or Nuture?.
- Fred Zinnemann and the Cinema of Resistance.
- Control Problems in Robotics?
- Fred Zinnemann and the Cinema of Resistance?
Read an excerpt of this book! Add to Wishlist.
USD Sign in to Purchase Instantly. Smyth reveals the intellectual passion behind some of the most powerful films ever made about the rise and resistance to fascism and the legacy of the Second World War, from The Seventh Cross and The Search to High Noon, From Here to Eternity, and Julia. Smyth's book is the first to draw upon Zinnemann's extensive papers at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and brings Fred Zinnemann's vision, voice, and film practice to life. In his engagement with the defining historical struggles of the twentieth century, Zinnemann fought his own battles with the Hollywood studio system, the critics, and a public bent on forgetting.
Fred Zinneman and the Cinema of Resistance
Zinnemann's films explore the role of women and communists in the antifascist resistance, the West's support of Franco after the Spanish Civil War, and the darker side of America's national heritage. Smyth reconstructs a complex and conflicted portrait of Zinnemann's cinema of resistance, examining his sketches, script annotations, editing and production notes, and personal letters. In this intense, richly textured narrative, Smyth enters the mind of one of Hollywood's master directors, redefining our knowledge of his artistic vision and practice.
Submit Feedback. Thank you for your feedback.
Fred Zinneman and the Cinema of Resistance | J. E. Smyth | | NetGalley
Written By: Michael Barson. See Article History. Early life and work Zinnemann, the son of a Jewish Viennese physician, studied music and then law at the University of Vienna —27 before pursuing a career in film by studying cinematography in Paris — Facts Matter. Start Your Free Trial Today.
- Understanding Screenwriting #127.
- Classic Hollywood: Getty Research Institute honors Fred Zinnemann?
- 3 editions of this work!
- Classic Hollywood: Getty Research Institute honors Fred Zinnemann - Los Angeles Times!
- Refine your editions:.
- Non-Standard Analysis.
- The Secrets of Word-of-Mouth Marketing: How to Trigger Exponential Sales Through Runaway Word of Mouth.
- Fred Zinnemann.
- Fred Zinnemann and the Cinema of Resistance - J. E. Smyth - Google книги.
- Fred Zinnemann - Wikipedia;
Load Next Page. More About. Articles from Britannica Encyclopedias for elementary and high school students. All Rights Reserved. OSO version 0. University Press Scholarship Online. Sign in.
Not registered? Sign up. University Press of Mississippi.
Publications Pages Publications Pages. Search my Subject Specializations: Select Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content.